View to the north from the north end of the Staunton River Bridge. It is from this side of the Staunton River that 5000 Union cavalry, with 16 pieces of artillery, approached under the command of Brigadier General James H. Wilson and Brigadier General August V. Kautz on June 25, 1864.
The bright spot in the center left of the photograph is the water of the Staunton River, seen through the tree line a short distance to the west of the north end of the bridge. Here at the river's edge, on both sides of the end of the bridge, two companies of Confederate regulars under the command of Capt. James A. Hoyt were well-concealed in shallow trenches. From this vantage point, although seemingly overwhelmingly outnumbered, the Confederate riflemen repulsed four Union charges.
The river's edge a short distance to the east of the north end of the bridge. This area also contained rifle trenches.
This view is looking away from the river, to the east of the north end of the bridge. The mounds visible are probably remnants of earthworks constructed as a precaution after the battle, to protect against any further attack.
Earthworks (probably post-battle), again to the east of the north end of the bridge, seen looking away from the river.
This guide to the Staunton River Bridge Battlefield is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.