This Virginia historical marker, titled “History of Halifax,” is positioned on the front lawn of the courthouse:
The town of Halifax has been the county seat of Halifax County since 1777. It is named for George Montague, the second Earl of Halifax, an English statesman. Previously this community had been called Banister, Houston, and Halifax Court House. Portions of Gen. Nathanael Green's troops were here in Feb. 1781. George Washington was in the region on 4 June 1791. During the spring of 1827, John Randolph of Roanoke spoke here to a large gathering of people. The present courthouse is a Classical Revival structure built in 1839, constructed by Dabney Cosby, Sr., one of Thomas Jefferson's master builders. Union Gen. George Custer camped in the region in Apr. 1865.
Halifax County Courthouse.
Law office row along the south lawn of the Halifax County Courthouse.
Confederate monument on the north lawn of the Halifax County Courthouse.
Halifax County War Memorial.
A portion of the first panel of the Halifax County War Memorial.
This guide to Halifax is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.